Here are some ways to get your kids learning about important topics that will affect their lives today and in the future.
HOW TO SAVE ENERGY
Kids love games. So, what better way to teach them about saving energy than with some fun games?!
- The U.S. Energy Information Administration offers games, puzzles, and activities to teach kids about energy savings.
- Environmental Protection Agency offers a variety of games focused on many different environmentally friendly practices, ranging from energy saving, to recycling, to climate change.
- The Kid’s Guide to Saving Energy includes riddles, games and other activities.
Some simple ways to save energy with your kids at home during summer:
- Go screen-free! Encourage your kids to take some time off from the electronics to explore alternative ways to play and save energy.
- Get outside. When kids take nature walks or make art out-of-doors, they learn about their environment and contribute to lower-carbon play.
- Fun with the whole family. Try some activities together! Metro Parent offers a kids calendar for families to take advantage of planned activities and events throughout the Portland area. You can also check out NW Kids for more activities and ideas.
HOW SOLAR WORKS
Solar panels are popping up more and more frequently around Oregon and Washington. If your kids don’t know already, they may be wondering what those panels do. Start talking with your kids about renewable energy by going over the basics of solar energy. Also consider showing some YouTube videos, taking them to see panels in person, or invest in some solar-powered toys to really watch the process in action!